Friday, October 5, 2007

UPS' Delivery System Stinks

How many of you have had UPS package slips stuck on your door...first attempt, then second attempt (you leave a nice little note asking the person to leave the package with one of the neighbors), then to your total frustration the final attempt slip arrives and you have to go down to the UPS customer care center? I have full confidence that heads are nodding in agreement at this very moment.
In the lovely town of Ankeny and Des Moines, I must say I have a few things to say about the UPS system.
First of all, they don't have consistent time of delivery. Just when you think you have it figured out, they switch.
Second, I don't believe that they even try to leave packages with neighbors even when they don't need a signature.
Thirdly, and the most annoying at that, is the fact that the customer care center is in DesMoines.
Well, I had a final attempt slip, which by the way was actually a first attempt unless some cruel joke was being played and someone was confiscating my previous slips. I had to go on-line and locate out of 20 UPS places which one was the center and where is was. This is where is gets sticky and stinky. Apparently when you ask for the directions to be printed out, they start you on SE Grand Ave. (Who told them that is where I was starting anyway?) Then to beat that the starting point is marked by an "X". Isn't it well known to the largest percentile of the world that "X" marks the spot -- ending spot?! Then the end location is this little square which is this box.
So I get in my car, after consulting a friend who sees that map as I see it and tells me how I can use 235 and make it easier. Off I go!! Well I think I am doing well and I turn off the interstate and head south. I keep heading south and see nothing close to Hull Ave (which I have heard of but never seen). I ended up about 20 miles more south then I was supposed to be. I stopped and called a man...yes, a man, but at least it was my fiance' who is way more used to Des Moines than I am. While explaining where I am and him looking that up, I realize to my horror the reality and correct interpretation of the map -- the X was the beginning and little box was the UPS store. Disgusted with UPS and myself, I thank him and take off north. Mumbling to myself the entire way how I dislike UPS. I do end up at the Center, knowing exactly where I am and thankful that I don't work in DesMoines any longer.
So to those who have similar experiences I offer sincere and empathetic condolences. Have a wonderful Friday!!!

No comments: